Tuesday 5 March 2013

five dollar curry.


Or as I like to call it loudly... FIVE DOLLAH CURRY!!!  I am going to try to remember this recipe and what I threw into it.  It looks a lot like my chickpea, tomato, and chicken curry.  It isn't.  It is a vegetarian curry.  I honestly threw this together last night because I decided during the day that one pack of instant oatmeal was enough to eat and I was SO HUNGRY when I came home from work.

ingredients

  • 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can of lentils, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes... I used Aylmer's Accents.  You can also use a chopped tomato.  The can was soaked in olive oil so I rolled with it.
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 1/2 tbsp. of curry powder
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp. garam masala
  • 1/2 tsp. coriander
  • 1/2 tsp. cardamom
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne 
  • 1/2 tsp. Epicure Spices for Chutney (optional)
  • squirt of ketchup (optional, I just threw it in)
  • fat-free yogurt for serving
  • naan bread for serving
directions
Heat a bit of olive oil in a large skillet.  When the oil is hot throw in the minced garlic, cook for half a minute, throw in your spices and warm them up for a minute.  Throw in your chickpeas, lentils, tomatoes.  Squirt some ketchup over it, mix everything together and let it all simmer for 30-45 on medium-low.  (Is that a real temp on an oven?  It is now.)  Serve with some naan and yogurt.  Enjoy.


As you can see... I almost forgot to take a picture of the finished project.  I was that hungry.  It was filling and delicious.  Next time I will remember to take a picture when I dish up.  Next time I will also pay more attention to the oil heating in the skillet and I won't almost burn the house down and burn three cloves of garlic. 

Cheapest curry ever?  Probably!  I'd love to try dried chickpeas and lentils... any advice?  




No comments:

Post a Comment