Thursday 18 April 2013

chicken tikka masala.

I don't use my Crock Pot nearly as much as I should and this recipe proves it.  This is by far the best meal I have ever made.  And it was probably also the easiest.  Sure, it simmered all day but the Crock Pot did most of the work here.  I was able to sit back, relax, and pray that my naan dough would rise.  



Here's the sauce, pre-mix.  I think once I replace the food processor I broke I will start buying my own tomatoes and making my own tomato puree rather than using a jar of store bought.  



Literally, it took me 20 minutes or so to chop and mix everything and then six hours in the Crock Pot later it was a meal... 



ingredients

  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts 
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced (or 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger if you forgot to pick up the fresh stuff)
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
  • Half a juiced lemon and some grated rind
  • 2 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp. garam masala 
  • 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • 3 tsp. cayenne pepper (reduce if you're not into spicy)
  • 2 1/2 tsp. minced onion (I used dry because I am not a huge onion fan but you can use a small minced onion)
  • 2 tsp. black pepper
  • 2 tsp. salt 
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups of plain yogurt
  • 1 28 ounce can of pureed tomato or tomato sauce
  • 1 small can of tomato paste
for the finish
  • 1 1/2 cups of cream (I use fat free)
  • 4 tbsp. corn starch 

directions

(1)  Place everything but the finish ingredients into a large bowl and mix well.  Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces.  Add chicken to sauce and mix well again making sure the chicken is very well-coated.  

(2)  Slowly pour the entire mixture into your Crock Pot or slow cooker.  I sprinkled some extra garam masala on top once it was in the pot.  Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.  Stir occasionally if you're home.

(3)  Pour cream slowly into the sauce and add the corn starch.  Mix everything really well, place the lid back on the pot and cook for 20-30 more minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.

(4)  Serve with rice or naan bread.  (Homemade Naan Bread)

(5)  Enjoy one of the best and easiest meals EVER.



No comments:

Post a Comment